When we face something uncertain and scary like an illness, the death of someone we loved, or failure, it can be easy to let the anxiety of the unknown consume us. But God tells us to not have a spirit of fear, but one of love and self-discipline. In times of illness, pain, death, grief or suffering, then, people of faith should lean into God’s word and what He has to say about the subject.
Below are some important Bible verses to get you through the tough times.
- “Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise.” – Jeremiah 17:14 NIV
This verse from Jeremiah reminds us that God is our redeemer and that His promises are true, even during sickness or times of trouble. For more information on Jeremiah and his book of the Bible, check out this background.
- “Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.” – James 5:14-15 NIV
In the same spirit as Matthew 18:20, this verse reminds and empowers believers to gather together and lift those who are sick or hurting up to God. There is power in our ability as Christians to congregate and pray and worship together. To read more about this verse from James, check out this in-depth analysis.
- “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” – Revelations 21:4 NIV
For those who are sick or hurting, this scripture is such a stunning reminder of God’s promise to us in our eternal life awaiting us in heaven. While we suffer and toil on earth, we know that we will be fully whole and fully healed when we reunite with God and Jesus Christ in heaven. This is an amazing reminder for those who grieve the loss of a loved one as well: We can be confident that they are no longer in pain because of their illness. To learn more about this powerful scripture, check out this analysis.
- “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” – John 14:27 NIV
There are 365 references in the Bible that reassure us to “not be afraid,” or to “fear not.” Fear is of the enemy and God provides us a daily reminder of this essential truth. To learn more about what Jesus Christ was trying to teach us, read this.
- “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10 NIV
This powerful scripture reminds us of God’s promise that He is always with us and always for us. His love for us knows no bounds and He wants us to have faith and trust in Him and His word. To learn more about Isaiah, check out this resource.
Has this been helpful? Be sure to share these truths with someone else who needs them.